Friday 28 November 2008

More comments about exercise

Here ia an article from a Health and Fitness Blog that may be of interest, for more information goto http://www.indystar.com/article/20081125/LIVING01/811250317/1083/LIVING01

After back pain, Pilates became music to her ears
Anne McCafferty, 60, Indianapolis, cellist, Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra
Posted: November 25, 2008Post a CommentRecommend E-mail Print Share Del.icio.us Digg Reddit Yahoo Google A A People don't think of musicians as athletes, but in many ways, we are. Cellists tend to be prone to back problems because of the posture of sitting, and we don't have much flexibility of movement once the instrument is in front of us. Most of us sit toward the front of the chair, without back support.

I started having lower back and leg pains, a sciatic-type pain, in 2005. I became totally debilitated, could not get out of bed and was unable to work with the Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra from July until the fall. It got to a point I was screaming with pain. I really couldn't do anything.


Ultimately, they discovered it was four compressed spinal discs. I had problems a year before and got physical therapy. This was a nerve issue. I went back into physical therapy for three months and had a tremendous number of pain medications, as well as spinal injections.

I was able to go back to work, but I was still in physical therapy. Once they released me from therapy, I needed to do something to strengthen and improve myself. I belong to the JCC and had a friend with polio who did Pilates. I observed a class with the Reformer taught by Cherri Jaffee, director of Pilates.

I started training one-on-one with her. I also took a Pilates mat class once a week. The beauty of Pilates for me is that it works the whole core, front and back, both the abdominal and the extensor back muscles. She works on the Reformer with me, improving range of motion, breath control, muscle sculpting, balance and posture.

The posture exercises have been extremely helpful. I've learned stretching exercises I can do as I sit, waiting for other sections to rehearse. After a year, I gradually got off of all medication. Pilates gives me functional fitness, improving how I stand, walk, sit and stretch.

My shoulders are an issue, too, so I do stretching exercises for the rotator cuffs. Stretching of the calf muscles and the inner and outer thighs helps with how I sit, and upper body stretching strengthens my body.

Since the fall of 2005, I've been doing the mat Pilates class almost every week and the individual Reformer session every week. I also try to walk a lot. I find that the more I walk, the better I feel.

I've never been very athletic, but I find Pilates is crucial for me, as it enables me to do my job without pain. I'm in my 37th season and I want to be a lifelong cellist. If I live a long time, I also want to be able to stay in good shape. I'm highly motivated because it's changed my physical health.

What brought on the crisis point was overdoing it in the yard. I still work in the yard, but I change my position all the time, always getting on my knees. Because I'm stronger in my core, I use those muscles to pull me up.

I'm a big proponent of Pilates -- it makes me functional and feel good. You just learn to use your body better all the time.

As told to Barb Berggoetz at barb.berggoetz@indystar.com
Regards
Paul

No comments: