Saturday 1 August 2009

Plank Exercise

Hello and here is an unusual post from Tri Cities.com
By Linda Stollings
Special to the Herald Courier
Published: July 29, 2009

It is Sunday afternoon, and I just left the YMCA.
I was a little late getting there so I really did not get to finish my resistance training routine. What a shame!
Most people would let it go and be glad that they got out a little early. But not me: I finished my routine when I got home.
I only had a few core exercises left to do, and because it is such an important part of the whole program, I just could not leave it out. My last few articles have described the importance of working your core, so how in the world could I in good conscience leave it out?
As you can see, you keep me accountable and that is a good thing. I never want to be like the plumber who has a leaking sink, so I definitely try and practice what I preach.
As I have mentioned, the core muscles include the abdominal muscles, hip muscles (front and back) and spinal muscles (lower and upper back muscles.) These muscles groups are responsible for maintaining the stability of the spine and pelvis.
A strong core allows a person to perform activities of daily living with greater ease, improve sports performance through a more effective energy transfer from large to small body parts and decrease the incidence of low back pain.
If you suffer from low back pain, consider strengthening your core to alleviate the discomfort.
Two of my favorite core exercises are called planks and side planks. Always check with your physician before beginning an exercise program. Below, I describe these core exercises. Remember, if you have limitations, you must modify your routine.
The plank: Lie face-down propped with elbows under chest and palms down. Lift up on toes and tighten back and abdominals, keeping body straight, and head and spine neutral (in a straight line). Hold 10-60 seconds, rest and repeat.
If a straight back position is too difficult, begin with hips hiked up or hold the contractions a shorter amount of time. Do not let the hips sag.
Side planks: Lie on side with body weight balanced between forearm, palm and feet. Contract back and abdominals to hold body straight. Do not push hips out behind the body. Hold 10-30 seconds, rest and repeat on the other side.
If a full-body position is too difficult, begin with the half-plank, balancing weight between knees and forearm. For an advanced version, try lifting the top foot in the air for 10 seconds. Do not try this exercise if you have any limitations with your lower back.
I have just touched the surface on a very few exercises that work your core. Stay healthy and see you in the gym.

LINDA STOLLINGS is a personal fitness trainer in Bristol, Tenn. E-mail her at info@fitprescriptions.comor visit http://www.fitprescriptions.com
If you liked this, go to www.backpainloss.com
Paul

No comments: