Monday 11 August 2008

Exercise and Back Pain

Hello,
Today I thought I would talk about Exercise and Back Pain, or how regular exercise, within your own limits, may help with the general health and flexability of your back. The reverse, of course, is true, that is irregular extreme exercise may cause pain and discomfort.
I think we all agree that exercise, in moderation, is good for all of us. Some time ago I found myself slightly overweight and unfit, the reason? I had not been regularly exercising for some time, and as a result I was a little out of condition.
In order to help the whole family, my wife bought an electronic fitness system, no names, and I looked forward to some fun fitness programes and a quick return to my previous healthy condition.
We had two teenage relatives staying with us and they pounced on the thing and started to play with it. My son, who has just finished University and has some time on his hands, did the same. Then my wife, who technically owned it all, joined in.
I sat back and waited for the fuss to die down before I had a go. As I was a week behind everyone else, I thought, push yourself and catch up, always a mistake!
The first time I went on, I found a general weakness in muscle strength, poor balance and a long way to go to get the cardio- vascular system working properly. Also I was about 15 years "older" according to the machine.I spent about 35 minutes training and was exhausted at the end. The second day I spent 40 minutes and was even worse. The system gives a warning that you should take a break, well I don't have time to take breaks and so I kept on. The third day after 45 minutes I felt I was getting there, until I felt a lump in my right shoulder, a knotted muscle, that was very painful. This was followed by a pain down the right side of my back and pains in my pectoral muscle.
The words of my last personal trainer came back to me, "never exert yourself and vaty your program day to day" came to mind. Several days of mobilisation, massage and rest followed before I was able to resume the training. So was pushing past the limits rather than taking it slow and steady worth it? In the end I am over a week "behind" the others and will re start slowly
Never push yourself beyond limits that are set for a reason and work slowly and surely. Aim for a flexible supple body first, then go for strength and stamina.
Find out how you can exercise, within your limits, then go to www.backpainloss.com
Be well
Paul

No comments: